Well that’s been a while. I almost forgot my WordPress password. My last post wasn’t really informative so I thought let me just post one of the projects I’m currently working on. It’s far from finished and I doubt if I’ll release it once it’s finished. So for the moment being I’ll only share my alpha POC which should be enough to build upon.
Have you ever had the need to get stuff of vmdk files without using any of the visual VMWARE products? Well I have!! Now luckily VMWARE also has detected that there are a lot of people with that need and they have released an excellent API the Virtual Disk Development Kit 1.1. Now that stuff is sexy, quote from it’s website:
The Virtual Disk Development Kit (VDDK) is a collection of C libraries, code samples, utilities, and documentation to help you create or access VMware virtual disk storage. The kit includes:
- The Virtual Disk and Disk Mount libraries, a set of C function calls to manipulate virtual disk files.
- C++ code samples that you can build with either Visual Studio or the GNU C compiler.
- The Disk Mount utility to access files and file systems in offline virtual disks on Windows or Linux guest virtual machines.
- Documentation about the VDDK libraries and the command-line utilities.
- The Virtual Disk Manager utility to manipulate offline virtual disk on Windows or Linux (clone, create, relocate, rename, grow, shrink, or defragment).
I assume that after reading the above you’ll also agree that the possibilities are endless. Now let’s get cooking.